The orthodontic branch of dentistry has always been trying to find advanced and contemporary solutions to dental issues. Nowadays, their services include a wide range of treatments to cater to unique cases. Today, we are going to figure if which between traditional braces vs Invisalign is more practical to use. These orthodontic braces have helped so many people fix their damaged teeth and maintain their function.
Comparing Traditional Braces Vs Invisalign
By definition, orthodontic braces are the appliance used to fix dental problems such as a chipped or broken tooth, teeth misalignment, defaults in overbites and underbites, flaws in the jaw, and many more. In general, it aims to provide a better dental structure and improve the oral health of the patient.
Traditional braces refer to the older method of orthodontic treatment. These metal braces are attached to the teeth one by one and linked together by an archwire and elastics. Its main objective is to make adjustments to the positioning of the teeth to properly align each one of them according to the correct formation.
This is the cheapest among all kinds of braces because the materials used are not that expensive. It has several advantages compared to Invisalign. However, it also has its own drawbacks as it can be very noticeable which can potentially make a person self-conscious.
Below are some of the reasons why traditional metal braces are still a good option for your teeth problems:
- It can fix complex and severe dental issues like misalignment and crowded teeth.
- It gives out results quickly. Unlike other orthodontic treatment options, you will not have to wear metal braces for too long.
- Cheapest option compared to other solutions.
- More sturdy because it’s made of metal.
- Although made of metal, you can still choose different kinds of designs and colors of elastics.
It’s obvious that traditional braces can compete even with the newer and advanced treatments. Unfortunately, it can also pose multiple disadvantages:
- Appearance. If you notice, traditional braces can drastically change a person’s overall look. Because of the metal brackets and archwires, the prosthetics can be easily seen even from afar. Many patients have become conscious about their smile because of metal braces, even children experience bullying because of this.
- Restricted foods. Metal can have reactions when combined with drinks that are high in acid, this puts the braces at risk of cavity and damages. Sticky foods like bubbly gum or anything that can get stuck in between the gaps of the appliance are also not encouraged.
- Numerous dental visits. This kind of orthodontic treatment requires plenty of adjustments, meaning you’ll have to visit your dentist more often than usual for regular alteration.
- Adjustments can be painful. This procedure often leaves patients with sore a mouth for a few days. That means several absences in work or school.
- Can compromise oral hygiene. The braces will basically occupy a huge part of your teeth making it quite hard for you to clean certain areas. Dentists advise meticulous cleaning of the teeth and mouth to prevent cavities and bad breath.
- Uncomfortable to wear. Metal braces can be very uncomfortable to wear and it often leads to low self-esteem.
Invisalign is the newest and advanced orthodontic treatment offered by dental clinics these days. These are clear aligners that straighten the teeth. Unlike traditional braces, Invisalign does not use any metal to fix dental issues. Instead, they offer an almost invisible plastic material which was molded according to the teeth structure of the patient. In short, no more unpleasant metal views in your whole mouth.
The main purpose of Invisalign is to give a better smile by providing a solution to correct the misaligned teeth.
Listed below are the advantages of Invisalign:
- The clear aligners are easy to clean.
- It does not require numerous dental visits.
- You can indulge in any food that you want.
- It’s invisible so your appearance will not be affected.
- It provides comfortability.
- It can be used by anyone. It is deemed safe not only for adults but for children as well.
- It caters to a lot of dental issues apart from misalignment. (crowded teeth, overbite, underbite, etc.)
While Invisalign offers plenty of advantages opposing traditional braces, sadly it has its own downsides as well including:
- It’s quite expensive. They can be out of the budget since clear aligners often cost around $6,000 to $9,000.
- They require attachments. These attachments are gradually placed on Invisalign from time to time making it less noticeable.
- They are removable but you are required to wear them for 22 hours every day. Ideally, you can only remove Invisalign while eating or doing your oral care regimen.
- At first, it can be uncomfortable to wear, but don’t worry because sooner or later, you’ll get the hang of it.
- It can be inconvenient when eating out. You’ll have to remove them before eating and place them back on right after which can be embarrassing at some point.
Leave a Reply